Home-Start Hull is a voluntary organisation offering practical and emotional support to families who have at least one child under five, through home-visiting volunteers.
Home-Start volunteers play a central and crucial role in providing support for families. The work of the organisation is dependent on a dedicated team of volunteers to support the delivery of service to families.
Home-Start is committed to valuing volunteers, preparing them for their role and supporting them on an ongoing basis. We are committed to protecting the health, safety and wellbeing of our volunteers, and will take all reasonable and practical steps to ensure this.
- Volunteers do not need specific qualifications; it is their life experiences, attitudes and interpersonal skills that matter.
- All volunteers are carefully recruited, selected, inducted, trained and supported for their individual volunteering role within the organisation.
- Each volunteer is closely supervised by a trained staff member who monitors the impact of the work of home visiting volunteers with or for families.
- Volunteers are expected to be committed to the scheme and to the ethos of Home-Start and understand and implement Home-Start’s policies and procedures.
- Home-Start recognises that volunteers require satisfaction from their role and encourages opportunities for personal development.
- Home-Start’s professional approach to managing the work of the volunteers allows the organisation to demonstrate the value of their work to families, to volunteers and to the wider community.
- Feedback from volunteers is encouraged and welcomed in developing the work of the scheme and the role of its volunteers.
- Volunteers are encouraged and expected to give priority to their own personal safety in respect to how they carry out their Home-Start roles.